Over the last few years, I have shifted my gift-giving and personal consumption towards sustainable gifts. And it’s that time of year again! The holidays are just around the corner. With the ongoing focus on climate change and the importance of living more environmentally-friendly lives, I’m sharing some gift ideas that are fun, affordable and sustainable.
Of course, the simplest way to save the planet is to buy less. I have a few ideas below that require no shopping. You can also cut down on shopping by doing a secret exchange of gifts with a $10 limit. This will help to save even more money and time this year while having more fun than ever. After all, the holidays are really about spending time with your friends and family.
(Disclosure: Normally, I don’t recommend anything until I’ve personally tried it. However, in this case, I haven’t bought these items. So you’ll need to do your own research. This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Any earnings will be donated to charity.)
Sustainable Gifts for the Whole Family:
1. This beautiful scented candles gift set contains four natural soy wax/pure essential oils candles. Also, the candles come in tins printed in bold, colorful designs. When the candle is done burning, you can easily clean out the inside and reuse the colorful tins for another purpose.
2. Try this one-of-a-kind eco project book. Every page turns into an activity or project to help you save the plant. Fun and informative for any age!
3. These eco-friendly cellulose sponge dish cloths feature winsome llama designs to brighten any kitchen. Just one cloth replaces up to 17 rolls of paper towels.
4. Explore the creative possibilities of vintage/thrift shopping when looking for holiday gifts! Sustainable minded shoppers know the thrill of finding unique, one-of-a-kind treasures while keeping their carbon footprint low and keeping goods out of landfills.
5. A gift that is both practical and beautiful is this 4-piece coaster set. It is designed and meticulously handcrafted by skilled artisans out of eco-friendly raffia grass.
6. These attractive, eco-friendly pens are made of 100% sustainable and recyclable Portuguese natural cork and wheat straw. They will make any writing assignment a pleasure.
7. The ultimate guide to the zero-waste lifestyle! This book is the perfect primer for anyone who wants to learn more about living a sustainable life.
8. These sturdy, attractive toothbrushes are made from natural sustainable bamboo. Also, the brushes and the packaging are 100% recyclable.
9. For anyone interested in creating a zero-waste, sustainable lifestyle at home, a compost bin makes a wonderful gift. This one-gallon model is small and attractive enough to sit on the kitchen counter. Plus, it is washable, keeps odors in, and transforms kitchen trash into garden treasure.
10. If you are a decent cook, homemade food items are always thoughtful gifts (i.e., jams, chutneys, cakes, cookies, bread, chocolates).
11. The perfect gift for your eco-conscious smoothie or cocktail-loving friends is this bamboo tumbler and straw set. It is an attractive, plastic-free alternative for picnics, outings, backyard drinks, and more.
12. Handmade gifts are truly personal. Make something based on your particular hobby or skill (e.g., homemade candles, soaps, jewelry, quilts, scarves, knitwear, pottery, painting, photography).
13. Attractive and practical, these washable, reusable sandwich bags come in a set of four. They are the perfect choice for lunches and snacks while keeping disposable plastic bags out of the trash.
14. Enjoy the benefits of an aromatherapy spa at home with these cruelty-free, essential oils shower steamers.
15. A beautiful plant in a ceramic or hand painted pot makes a lovely sustainable gift that keeps on giving all year.
16. Give the precious gift of your time and skill (i.e., coupons for lawn mowing, babysitting, house cleaning).
Enjoy a happy, healthy and Earth-friendly holiday season!
Check out some of our prior ides on sustainable gifts here.